Thursday, August 14, 2014

Living in a New Home

I can't believe it has almost been an entire week in Yap. A lot has happened so let me take you along the journey: We arrived Saturday night (skipped a day jumping 20 hours ahead) only to be greeted by wonderful church members and students at the airport. We were greeted with leis for the head and around your neck. They were the coolest things I had ever seen. Grass woven and flowers all over. It was a great gift.

Let me just say that the airport was a lot different then the airports back at home. We walked off the plane onto the very short run-way and went through customs. I didn't even know where to gather my luggage. They kind of just set it out there for you to grab. The airport is nothing but a cement roof with walls. It was quite interesting. Anyway, we loaded the vans, leaving my luggage on the side-walk amongst other luggage, hoping they would make it home somehow. Indeed they did. Phew, that was a relief.

We walked into our apartment only to find cockroaches. I've never seen such huge roaches before. You might even confuse one for a bird. Just hearing that crunch as you smack down your sandal killing it, is so nasty. I would like to take a moment and thank the people who invented "Raid". That stuff works wonders.

On to more exciting things, we went into town and got some groceries on Sunday and looked around at our classrooms. I spent a lot of time cleaning my room, getting books, organizing, lesson planning, etc. It's really interesting that in Yap, we take off our shoes before entering anywhere. Even some stores operate that way. It's very different walking into your classroom without shoes on, even church!

The humidity is crazy. Sweating every minute and every hour of the day is just plain normal. I'm just used to it now. It's so nice to not have to worry about "saving hot water" for the next person to shower. There's no such thing as "hot water"! Freezing in the morning and refreshing at night.

After school, I offer tutoring on the days that we don't have prayer meeting, pathfinders, and staff meeting. We are pretty involved here which is a huge blessing!

I'm very excited for each of my students to be successful. What's better than seeing your students succeed? I don't want them to go home each night and only remember learning about academics but also learning about Jesus. There are so many ways to show who Jesus is through teaching and having fun!

The island is beautiful. Green everywhere! There are so many coconuts trees, everywhere. Good thing that I love rice because that's pretty much all we eat here.

My colleagues are wonderful as well. It's great working with an amazing team. We all have different jobs but the same goal (to show the love of Jesus). I know that I'm not a certified teacher but I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. I have no other option but to fully rely on God and that's what makes the experience even so much better.



Thank you for all the prayers as we begin school and continue to work here. Remember that showing Christ's love is so easy. Make people wonder why you're different and why you're happy.

God bless,
Ivana Gomez

3 comments:

  1. Comments are now available!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivie - we are so glad to see things are going well for you. Your classroom looks very nice - it should be quite an adventure this year:-) You are now in your very first Sabbath in Yap - I pray it is a very blessed day as you worship together. We miss you already - but know that God has great things in store for you.
    I love you,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad that everything is going so well for you! I have been thinking about you.
    So glad to be able to see updates about what is happening. I know you will be a great teacher to those kids!
    Praying for you best friend!
    Love
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete