Tuesday, September 2, 2014

September Already?!

The days are flying and the adventures get better and better. I can't believe I've been gone from home for a month now. The experience, thus far, is something I never quite imagined. It's worth every second. Looking back, seeing my friends embarking on yet another year of college saddens me sometimes. Wow, I wish I could be enjoying the year with my friends, but then I'm constantly reminded that God chose ME to come here. Why should I be thinking about what my year would be like if I was home? This experience is far greater than anything else I could be doing back at home. This is a once in a life-time deal. When I stop and think about it, I know that I would not want to have it any other way. It's crazy to think that I've completely put my life on pause (back in the States). My students don't quite understand it. "Miss, you left everything?" I love when they ask me that question. "Yes, I left it all just to spend this year with you and teach you as much as I can. Can you believe that God calls people to go across the planet?"

It's been three Sabbaths, here, and I've specifically been trying to get a particular student to come to church with me every week. First Sabbath he said, "I will try." Second Sabbath I told him that he HAS to come and we will give him a ride. He wasn't able to make it because his step-dad said no. Third Sabbath, I called his step-dad (yes, I was nervous) and asked him if my student could come and he said YES! Right after he said "yes"  (he was a man of VERY few words) he hung up so fast (super awkward). So one of the church members went to pick up my student and said, "Hey, are you ready to go?" My student says, "I don't think I can, my step-dad didn't say anything last night after the phone call." Not seeing him at church and hearing the story was so disappointing. I tried so hard. I even called his step-dad and that was really hard for me. Monday rolls around and he comes up to me with a panicked look. "Miss, it's okay if you never like me again." "What are you talking about?" (I knew what he was talking about ;)] "I know I didn't come on Saturday but I promise, I really wanted too." I said, "It's okay. I really missed seeing you there but it's going to happen this Sabbath. I know it will. You're step-dad told me that it was OK." He had no idea that his step-dad gave permission for him to come to church with us and that's why he didn't accept the ride. "Miss, you're not going to give up on me?" I replied, "See, I've felt like that before. There have been so many times where I feel like God should just give up on me, but I'm so glad He didn't because I wouldn't be here if He did. If God keeps trying and trying, why shouldn't I? As long as I'm here (in Yap) I will do everything I can to get you to church every Sabbath." With a relieved and loving look on his face he replied, "Wow, that's amazing. I promise I'll be there." What's even better is that we have about 12 students that want to come to church this Sabbath. There's nothing that makes me happier. Praise God. I'm so excited!!

With good always comes the bad. I had to give out my first detention last week and that was surprisingly really hard for me to do. I tried giving so many warnings but at a certain point, you have to discipline them so they can learn from their mistakes. One student was being so disruptive and was asked to be quiet about 4 times. Finally, I gave an infraction (slip that the student signs recognizing his/her misbehavior) and said, "Next time, It's a detention." Of course next time came or the story would be non existent ;) Detention was held last Friday and we had a good twenty minute talk about the misbehavior and things we can do (the student and I) to avoid future detentions. Comes out, he wants to be a good kid but he's kind of the class clown. What's a class clown if they aren't hilarious and disruptive? Anyway, he helped me sweep and mop my classroom and things have gotten a lot better. I've seen so much improvement in all of my students, whether it's academically or behavior wise.

Don't you love those heart-to-heart conversations? This happened yesterday (Monday). Talking to one of my students during PE, he informed me that he got expelled from the public school and that's how he ended up here(at the SDA school). "Oh wow, so how did that happen?" "I get really angry sometimes and I fight a lot of people." What do you even say to that? I giggled and said, "Well, I don't understand how beating someone up solves problems. Can you explain that?" He laughed and said, "Miss, I know it doesn't solve problems. I just got mad." "Ah, I see. So how do you feel about coming to this school?" His answer was mind boggling. "I couldn't believe it. Everyone was so nice. I never knew people really acted this way. When I first got here, I didn't know anyone. Skyler (not really the students name) came up to me, welcomed me, and told me that he would take me to my first class. Now we are best friends. I love it here. I'm learning how to have a better attitude and better sportsmanship." The fact that other people see a difference in us is completely God. I'm so glad that the Holy Spirit is here on this campus.

I wish that I could give my students everything that I have back home. In reality, their happier with less. I'm completely adjusted to living with very little. It's so awesome. You see so many more blessings all around you and you have more time to spend with people that matter and people need you. God is crazy amazing and I'm honored to be His child. Everyone is called, few are chosen.

Last but not least. Driving a manual van with the steering wheel on the opposite side was sweet. Not when we found a cockroach next to our feet, but It's actually way better than driving in the States. I love it :) I think the girls enjoyed my epic/crazy; YET safe driving ;)

Continued prayers are always welcomed and appreciated. Keep praying for these kids. They are seeing God more and more each day. I ask that God would reveal Himself to each and every student in a way that He has never done before. May God bless you all in the States.

Until next time,
Ivana Gomez

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates Ivana! May God continue to bless you and become real to your students!! Loys of love, Eunice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eves!
    God is using you to do amazing things! It sound like you're having an awesome time and I am so glad that you are enjoying your time there as a teacher! Maybe education might be in your future! :) not that I'm biased or anything ;)

    Anyways I can't wait to hear more if your crazy adventures!
    Love and miss you!
    Austin

    ReplyDelete