Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Time is flying

I can't believe how fast the time is flying by. I'm officially in love with this place. This is my home. I wish I could stay here for many more years. I don't even want to think of the day when I have to leave. It brings joy to my heart knowing that one day we will be able to spend eternity together.

The opportunities to witness are never ending. We are starting another Bible study on Monday nights. We will have two Bible studies happening at the same time. I have to admit that I almost cried yesterday (Monday) when two of our students led out in the Bible study. The lady is from the outer islands of Yap and doesn't speak good English so the boys agreed to take over! They've been doing it every week (in their language) and she is so blessed by the word of God.

There's an interesting story about that Bible study. We were asked to change the light bulb so as I was screwing in the new bulb, I didn't realize that the electricity was still on and the bulb burst in my hand and I definitely felt the electricity. Don't worry, my parents obviously taught me well enough to know that you always make sure the switch is off when changing a bulb but I was there with other people and I thought it was a group effort. AKA I thought they would turn the switch off! Haha that was an interesting experience.

It seems as though Sarah and I are with our kids ALL day. Literally all day but we love it. I wouldn't want it any other way. We both agreed that we would do anything for them. I mean, this is a once in a life time experience. No time for scuba diving, movies, and nonsense.

Friday was crazy. We had a "Freshman Welcome Party" and demolished the freshman with water balloons. We pretended that we needed a class photo on the stairs of the library and the rest of the high school was hiding under the stairs and around the building and creamed them! The freshman were good sports about it! I thought the water fight would die down after that but it only got worse. We all ate food together and I got ice water dumped on me about 15 times throughout the rest of the afternoon. Every time they got me with water, they would say "Welcome to Yap Miss Gomez"! Well, one of the Juniors got me at least 5 times so I grabbed a gallon of cold kool-aid and nailed him, got two pieces of chocolate cake and got him right in the face, and last but not least I cracked an egg on him. It was so fun. These kids put frosting all over my face and egged me about 10 times. At least it was hot outside and we all got to enjoy the afternoon.

I was just watching a video of my house (in Michigan) and it left me in tears. I knew that it would be hard for me to see home again and get adjusted back to "life" after the year but the fact that majority of my kids don't even have a door on their home breaks my heart. I'm so used to living here and it's amazing how inviting the students are even though they don't have much. Some don't even have a mattress . . . I am so thankful to God for things that He has provided me with.

If you ever wonder, "does she see Jesus right through her students?" I sure do. Last week Friday, I'm kneeling next to the desk of a student and ask, "hey would you like to come with us to church on Saturday?" He shrugged his shoulders and I could tell he didn't want to talk about it. I said, "It's okay. Just let me know when you want to come and we will pick you up." (By the way, we pick up all our students every week. We've got a few big vans with benches and one crew that picks kids up on one side of the island and the other group goes to the other side.) Immediately he was silent and his head hung. With tears flowing down his face, I placed my hand on his shoulder. "Miss I can't believe I'm crying. I don't want to make excuses for church anymore. I want to keep God first but my mom doesn't believe what I believe. She's looking for a faith and I'm telling her that I found it. I found God but she doesn't want to accept it." How can that not touch your heart? These kids are learning so much about God and they are trying to share it with their families. Thankfully, Sarah and I called his mom and she was happy to let him join us at church. Nothing makes me happier than to see my kids at church and involved in Sabbath School. God is good.

The crazy thing is that my students don't even know that they are missionaries to me. Their beautiful notes, hugs, smiles, laughs, jokes, etc. are the things that get me through each day. I can't imagine the joy that we will feel in Heaven.

I never thought I'd be a teacher, a preacher, or one to take off a whole year of school. Once I told God that I was done trying to run my own life and make my own plans, He had other plans for me. I told Him, "Lord if you want me to do something, I need you to literally hit me in the head with a ton of bricks. I don't work well with little hints." He made it so clear to me. I was kind of nervous to come here and teach kids that aren't much younger than I am but God told me, "This is what happens when I control your life. I know what you need. I have a perfect plan for you." God knew exactly what He was doing. I can only thank God for these blessings. Talk about blessings over flowing!!! WOW!

Again, I thank you for taking time to read these posts,  for all the prayers, and support. Never doubt the power of God. We are seeing Him work in mighty ways, here.

Love to all,

Ivana Gomez

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Ivana - simply beautiful! I am bursting with emotion as I read your posts - it is incredible to see how God is working in your life. Thank you for being a witness not only to the kids in Yap, but to me personally. We continually lift you in prayer and we are excited each time we hear these beautiful stories. We miss you so much! But we are excited at the same time as we hear about your incredible experiences. May God continue to watch over you and keep you safe.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivana,

    You are quite the teacher! Isn't it amazing what God calls us to do sometimes?
    Regardless of the subject, when students know you care about them, then that's when you can truly make a difference.
    Thanks for your example.

    Mr. Vinton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Vinton,

      It's so great to hear from you. It really is such an awesome thing to
      see how God uses us and how He calls us. I can only thank you for an
      amazing example that you were/are to me and my classmates. It's
      teachers like you who make a difference not only in your own students
      lives but in the lives of their students as well. God's love is the
      gift that keeps on giving. I hope everything is going great for you!
      God bless.

      Delete